If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (888) 886-8825

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Your Fire Safety Checklist - from, SERVPRO

12/8/2021 (Permalink)

A Christmas tree burning Don't let this be your tree this year!

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree! Please do not be a fire hazard for my family!

Happy Holidays! We want to give you and your family the gift of fire safety during this holiday season. Even though most house fires are started by some form of cooking, the winter season introduces even more hazards. According to the American Red Cross, there are about 47,000 house fires in the United States annually, resulting in millions in damage.  

Many winter fires are caused by Christmas trees, candles, lights, space heaters and more. Luckily for homeowners in the greater Annapolis area, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park has a holiday fire safety checklist for you. Here are just a few things you can do to ensure you are not one of the 47,000 this year! 

  • Test your smoke alarms monthly. Batteries should be replaced on Day Light Savings days. 
  • Create a fire escape plan and walk through it with your family. Always be prepared! 
  • Keep flammable or decorations away from heat sources. It is always a clever idea to move decorations away from fireplaces and space heaters.  
  • Do not use candles in bedrooms and remember to put them out, even try setting an alarm to remember. Candles are dangerous items in the winter and can be forgettable when going to bed.  
  • Never leave a space heater running unattended. We see this all the time! And do not use it for a prolonged period of time! 
  • Choose flame retardant decorations whenever possible. This limits the chances of faulty decorations starting fires in your home.  
  • Check all electrical cords and do not overload sockets! We know how tempting it can be to load up all your cords into one power strip.  
  • Stay in the kitchen and COOK whenever guests are over. We want everyone to mingle safely too but remember you have food on the stove or in the oven! 
  • Do not forget to move items like kitchen mitts away from your stove. These items can catch fire fast! 

We hope everyone enjoys their holiday season and time with family and friends. If you happen to experience a fire loss, or any type of loss, in your home or your business call SERVPRO of Annapolis at 410-647-8181.  

Other News

View Recent Posts